Friday, July 27, 2007

Are you for SCUBA?

I thought that our blog wouldn't be complete without a post about SCUBA Diving...


James biggest passion right now (besides his wife of course)- is SCUBA Diving. He was interested in Diving before we started dating and went SCUBA Diving occasionally.

Now James has gotten more involved because he is a Certified Technical Diver- which means that he breathes a special tri-mix of gases and can dive 300 plus feet deep (crazy- I know).

The best dives in our area are in Lake Erie and Lake Michigan where he can dive Ship Wrecks. He goes diving at least two weekends a month and has been included on SCUBA dives helping to locate many newly discovered Ship Wrecks within the last year (here is a picture of James on Lake Erie in his dry suit).

Because it's too cold to SCUBA Dive in Ohio in the winter, James learned how to Cave Dive.

Here is a picture of a Cave in Mexico where he went SCUBA Diving. I wasn't able to go on this trip to see the caves- but it looks incredible. Cave Diving is very dangerous- and probably the most scary for me. James actually SCUBA Dives through tunnels in the cave under the water.



Even though he is very careful- there are many things that can wrong and there is no easy way to surface.

Because I love spending time with James, I also learned how to SCUBA Dive and got Certified in November 2005. Here is a picture of us SCUBA Diving together in Curaco (South America).

I enjoy spending time with James under water- seeing fish, coral, crabs and eels in their natural environment. James and his friends call me a 3/80 SCUBA Diver- which means that I like to Dive in 80 degree temperature, 80 feet of visibility, carrying an aluminum 80 tank... sounds good to me!

Even though I don't have the passion to dive as deep as James (300 plus feet) or SCUBA Dive in caves, I love that we have a hobby that we can share and something exciting that we can do together when we go on vacation.

1 comment:

Brian, Beth, Garrett, Lucy, Brooks and Deacon White said...

I love that you guys do this! It's got to be so exhilerating! I hope in the next few years I can get certified as well. I LOVE snorkeling when we vaca & am dying to get in a wet suit & dive down! Love you guys!